What Happened - Sort of ...

In 2009 I came to the Big Island of Hawai'i to be with a man. After several attempts at working things out, I left on December 18, 2010. Unlike the other two occasions I left, this time I stayed on the Island. I stayed in Ocean View. I stayed where I have made friends and established some roots.

When I left. I left on foot. I was dressed well. Hiking boots, jacket, bag with stuff. Water and lemonade. I walked near 5 miles before my friend was able to get me a ride to her place. She was so gracious and kind to me. Took me in. Gave me a room. A bed. A bathroom. Fed me. Clothed me. And transported me when I needed to get somewhere. I was there for 8 days.

When I left there I moved to another friends house. I stayed there for 12 days. He helped me get to the markets to sell my stuff to earn money. He rented movies for me to watch. He also transported me where I needed to be. And I spent a lovely day celebrating my birthday and just hanging out.

The weekend of my birthday - January 9, 2011 - I moved into a little ohana, That's a tiny house - next to the main house ... often used for guests, in-laws, or sometimes - as in my case rented out. It is adorable. Two rooms. AND a sweet little bathroom! I really hate to leave it. I feel safe there, have good neighbors and it's in a good location for hitchhiking.

However. I barely made rent last month. I will barely make it next. And in just 3 months I will lose my only income. So I figure - stop paying rent. Move to my friend's lot and set up camp - save as much money as I can so I've got savings, you know. And THEN try to get a nicer place.

I have job opportunities. I clean house for a great guy once a week and he's promised to give me a good LOCAL reference if I get another opportunity for cleaning in the area. I'll also be doing some house sitting for him which will also give me reference to do other house sitting. I can sew. And of course I knit. I can TEACH.

I've been so consumed with where am I going to get rent money that I can't think to write. Or to plan. Or to create. But, when I get my little spot all fixed? Oh. wait til you see. It's going to be the first step in making that BIG DREAM of mine happen! What's the Big Dream you ask? Oh ... a little something I've got under my sherpa for now. But, you'll see ... stay tuned.

Meantime? I've got to get this Little Dream accomplished. I have a tent. It's nylon. 8x13. Bit enough to hold my little sofa, a table, and a few bins of clothes (this will be my dressing room). I will need a platform to sit the tent on, made of pallets and plywood. Then. I need something, preferably made of wood - maybe like a lean-to? built on the platform, maybe? AROUND or over the tent? That way I could have it angled to catch rain water. I will have to haul my water and catch what I can. I'm hoping two 55 gallon drums will be enough to hold washing water in. I have other containers for my drinking water already - 4 one gallon containers, and 1 six gallon container.

My kitchen/living area will HOPEFULLY be a costco canopy tent. I have some things to make tables and stands out of. I'll store my pots, pans, and dishes in milk crates and my food in tupperware and plastic bins. I hope to have a propane stove with oven to cook on. I just may get a biscuit baking business going. We'll see. :o)

Bathroom. Now ladies. You know this ain't gonna be good. But, here's the plan anyway. *LOL* I  hope to have a toilet built. There will be a 5 gallon paint bucket to use as a compost toilet with a seat built over top so the bucket slides easily in and out for emptying. I hope to have this roof slanted also for catchment. On the side I want to mount some sort of hose or shower device. Until I can buy a water heater? I will lay out a coil of black hose, keep it full of water and about 3 o'clock in the afternoon? I'll take my shower - outside. In the sun. I do have lattice that I hope to use for some "walls" for my shower.

I think that's all for now. There are certainly more details to be worked out. I hope that you'll enjoy sharing this new adventure with me and that we all will learn and grow from the experience!

Aloha and Mahalos for stopping by ....

Hawai'ian Betty a.k.a. Betriska

Comments

Popular Posts