The Socks ...

I had such a plan. I remember thinking I'm gonna knit ME somethin'!!! It's been a long time .... and being that most of my other handknit socks are beginning to wear and even develop a few holes here and there,  I gathered yarn and needles.

I did find a pair the other day without holes. Tube socks. I knit for 6 months on nearly nothing but tube socks for myself. I made them tube versus fitted because I was taking classes at Surry Community College and I had much "downtime" in between testing. But, I didn't want to have to focus on a pattern. So I knit 9inch cuffs and continued just knitting in the round for 9inches and then I decreased for the toe. I had quite a few pair. The pair I found? Has a big hole in the front where my dog Miah ATE the front of my sock!!! It's patched with yarn from an entirely different yarn. My theory? 'If you can't hide it? Illuminate it!" (Pictures coming soon!)

I chose the Cascade Green Wool (100%) worsted. Nice. Thick. Warm. I'll make them with cables. I even did the math so that there would be 5 cables - 3 across the foot and 2 cables down to the heel.

I was knitting these socks when I left for North Carolina on July 5. I knit at Mandie's. I knit at Molly's and at Mama's. I knit in the car. I knit on the plane. I knit going to North Carolina. And I knit coming back to Quincy, August 3. I know it sounds like a lot of knitting. It is. But, there were times when only a row or two was knit and then I would go do something else. Then come back 3 hours later and knit another three or 5 rows.

I love the process. The journey. I loved the idea of having new socks. I  had the resource already. I made something from just a ball of string. And I thought ... "Hey, I bet I could sell these!". I decided I would SELL the socks! So now I was getting excited (*coughdesperateforcashcough*) about finishing them up.

Note: I usually knit socks on double-pointed needles. I did not have the size I needed in my possession so I used 2 circular needles instead.

So now we have the history. Almost anyway. Here's the thing. New pattern. Traversing the continent by plane. Journeying from state to state. Carrying my knitting on needles I've never used for this task. All added up to there has to have been some mistake along the way.

Well. There was. I put the socks on to measure for the beginning of the toe decreases and I could NOT believe what I saw. A hole. Right there. On the very top. Not a dropped stitch. A hole. The kind of hole that happens when you accidently pick up your knitting and turn so now you are knitting in the opposite direction. It makes a hole.

Now my friend who tried them on after I had stitched them and I was bemoaning the fact that now I couldn't sell them because of the hole ... and she said "What hole?"  "The one right there on the top of your foot!" I said. I had to actually get up and point to the hole before she saw it.

 It's a one-of-a-kind flaw. No one else would ever be able to buy another pair like 'em. And I'm thinking $35.00 plus $5.00 for shipping? Would be worth it for a One-Of-A-Kind Betriska Original Design!





You be the judge .... you can see the hole in this picture ... it's on my left foot ... the one in back.


















This is Maizie inspecting. Sorry about the kitty hair. They were knit in a SMOKE FREE home!









The cables make the cuffs nice and cozy warm. 


So there you have it. Socks. Unusual. Original. For Sale. 

Email me if you're interested. Betriska at Gmail dot com!

Comments

Elesa said…
I can't see the hole, Betty - and I know what I am looking for!
Anonymous said…
Hahaha! Love it. I guess this goes right along with the 'If you can't hide it? Illuminate it!' philosophy. :-) GREAT deal on the socks, because they come with a GREAT story.

Popular Posts