Questions Answered about Living Tiny

My Truck and the Tiny - my first trip. circa. 2014


Yes. I continue to live in the Tiny and I continue to live tiny - or as some would say - minimally. I have reduced consumption of resources to the barest of minimum, including but not limited to -

- Maintaining a home off-grid.
Example: No electricity. Which of course means no electric "bills". I currently have lights, charging of phone and laptop, blending of coffee, all made possible via 3-100 watt solar panels, 2-deep cycle, heavy duty batteries, inverter and cigarette lighter charging station. There is, of course, the initial start-up of purchasing and installing; however, the last electric bill I paid averaged 150.00 a month. Yes. My system has paid for itself multiple times.

- Purchasing/spending/shopping
Example: If I do not actually need something, I no longer shop for it. There is a saying, "Want what you need, and don't need what you want." This has become my motto.

- Stashing/Storing/Collecting
Example: See above. As in, the less you need/want the less you purchase. The less you purchase the less space you need to stash or store!

- Food. 
Example:  I have enough for at least a month of meals at all times. I eat simply. With little to no cost in preparation. I can use propane, solar energy (for beverages like tea, and even coffee), or in an emergency, I can build a fire. Yes. I have a fire pit - of sorts. It's a spare trailer tire wheel.

Food storage is in cabinets in the Tiny. Bulk or surplus foods are in air-tight bins in my truck. I also use my refrigerator space, as the frig no longer is in working order.

- Clothing.
Example: I have enough clothing to keep me covered, warm and dry - for approximately 2 weeks. I do not put on clean/fresh outer clothing daily unless they become soiled in some way. I have enough underclothes to go more than 2 weeks. And I also wear clothes in layers when the temperatures fall below 40 degrees F. I wear handknit wool socks, good leather boots, and wool sweaters/vests/hats to stay warm in winter conditions.

Wool is naturally antimicrobial, water repellent, and warm. It wicks away moisture keeping you dry when you need to be!

- Water. 
Example: Water is a necessity. Clean water is imperative/preferable. I currently have water access on my site. It could be consumed however, it doesn't taste very good. But, if I had no choice? I wouldn't die for lack of water. I haul water in gallon jugs into the Tiny for dish-washing, in-between shower bathing, and cleaning the Tiny. I also have water filtering tablets and multiple ways of purifying water in case of emergency.

For drinking purposes, I travel about a mile to fill a 5-gallon water jug for $1.00. I also fill 3- 1-gallon
jugs, and a 2-gallon container, for a quarter per gallon. When all containers are full this is enough water for 7-10 days. That includes coffee, tea, lemonade and fresh drink.

I have been questioned as to how, why, where, how long, as long as I have lived in the Tiny. I've never actually written about it here. I suppose it would be a good thing. And yes. I will answer those questions in upcoming blogs. I am just getting started again. And today was the day that I finally was able to find the proper space to sit and type. So. If you have read this far, and you are interested in learning more about how I live in the Tiny? Stay tuned, and meanwhile? Ask me your questions! You can comment below, or even email me directly at Betriska at gMail dot com!

Blessings Chavarim!



Comments

Popular Posts